Skip to main content

Long Weekend(-ing) in Surabaya

Okay, so. This is the first post from this page. I just want to tell you that this is the first time I write about TRAVELING. Don't expect too much from me (who has been on a hiatus for a very long time. lol). So, hello from me!

Let's the journey begin!!

It started last week (5th May 2016 for Ascension Day and 6th May 2016 for Ascension of the Prophet Mohammad) was a very long weekend here. For all the employees they have 4 days off, from Thursday to Sunday. I think that's the longest weekend 2016 ever have haha. Since I'm not an employee, nor a student, I have all day as a weekend HAHA. But, to be honest, I never know how does it feel to have a long weekend holiday. So I decided to make a trip for this long weekend.

For your information, I'm living in Malang, a small city in the east part of Java island. But I'm "originally" from Jakarta (a big metropolitan city where I was born and lived until I went to college here). 5 years already living in Malang I'm feeling homesick (it's not that I'm never going home, but it's been 4 months since the last time I'm home and I think it's fair to be homesick. DON'T JUDGE ME!), I thought I need a feeling to "be home", by "home" I mean a big city life (Yea I'm a spoiled brat so why?!). And the nearest big city from Malang is Surabaya. FYI, Surabaya is the capital city of East Java Province so it HAS to be "big".

So, to heal my homesick, I decided to go to Surabaya, and stayed at my friend's house. I promised her already a long time ago that I'm going to visit her but I didn't have the chance yet. It was a sudden decision, so I'm not preparing much of things. I just go.

I was taking a bus from the bus station (pretty far from my dorm, but it's okay). I took a risk by taking a bus, because it was a long weekend so it must be so crowded in the station and also on the road is going to be a heavy traffic. But that's the essence of travel right? Taking a risk. Actually I could just take the train, but it will be more risking. Just imagining the ticket queue and how am I going to stand on the train for 2 hours because I don't get the seat, already making me sick. If I took the bus and there was a heavy traffic, at least I don't have to stand along the way, right? haha.

It was 2,5 hours of bus trip to get to Surabaya from Malang. It only cost IDR 25,000 you have your own seat with pretty cold air conditioner. I was lucky that there wasn't any of heavy traffic. Then, my friend picked me up at the bus station to her house where I stayed for 3 nights.

My own main purpose to Surabaya was having some culinary tour and shopping (LOL). So then, my friend took me to have a dimsum for dinner. It was really good, because I cannot find that kind of dimsum taste in Malang. And the most important thing is, IT WAS CHEAP! The place is called "Dimsum Mbledos". Mbledos in Javanese means explode. Yes. Your tummy can explode if you eat those dimsum too much -_- it located in Jl. Mulyorejo Utara, Surabaya. For the dimsum, it cost about IDR 8,000 - 9,000/ portion.


That's how it looks. No, it's not gross.

The next day, we planned to shopping. I was on a mission to complete my make up kit, and my friend knows just the place to buy an affordable make up kit so there we go. After some tiring shopping (and window shop) we had lunch. This one was my favorite, it's called "Sate Klopo". It's just a beef or chicken satay (you can chose any of it) covered by spiced shredded coconut flesh. The place named "Sate Klopo Ondomohen Ibu Asih" located in Jl. Walikota Mustajab no. 36, Surabaya. For one portion of satay, rice and a glass of iced tea, costed about IDR 20,000 (or more. or less. I dumbly forgot)



Sate Klopo. 
I'm sorry for the unappetizing picture. But I promise this taste GOOD!

Our tummy was really happy, and next destination was a cinema. Yes. We watched a movie. Took a bus all the way from Malang just to watch a movie (LOL). We watched an Indonesian recently released oh-so-popular movie called "Ada Apa Dengan Cinta 2". A romantic but not cheesy movie, I'm so in love, hoping that Rangga (the main male character) is my boyfriend. I'm dead. After the movie we went home, and dead asleep.

Saturday morning we woke up late because we were exhausted from the night before. But we went to a market in the afternoon, because my friend's mother asked us to help her. So there we go, helped my friend's mother, and again, I bought a pair of pants. And on Saturday night, I went out with my best boy friend who also live in Surabaya. Been a long time since the last time we met and I really missed him. He took me to a mall and we were talking and talking and talking about everything.

The next day, I decided to go back to Malang. I planned to go by train but the ticket was sold out so I had to take the bus. I was afraid there would be a heavy traffic but thank God there wasn't any of it. I arrived in Malang just for 1,5 hour! And welcomed by a heavy rain -_-

And that's all. That's how I spend my long weekend. I know this is kind of boring story, but just like what I said before, this is the first time since the last time I wrote on a blog (about 3 years ago). Sooooo I'm sorry. I hope this post is informative enough to anyone who read this. I'll learn more about how to write a travel blog, I promise it will get better. I PROMISE will take some pictures from the place I'm going to, not only the food but also the places (please forgive me this time).

So, see you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter To The Future

Dear, future Me. Kamu tidak perlu bisa segalanya . Kamu tidak perlu tahu semuanya . Hanya yang menurutmu penting dan kamu suka. Itu sudah cukup. Akui kekuranganmu. Bilang bisa, kalau sanggup. Bilang tidak bisa kalau tidak sanggup. Tidak ada yang menuntutmu untuk bisa semua, tahu semua. Jangan over-think . You know damn well, what over-think does to you. Aku tahu kamu tahu. I will not explain it more. Tidak semua orang memiliki jalan hidup yang sama, so stop judging people by their act, or their appearance. Bisa jadi yang kamu judge itu lebih baik dari kamu. Bisa jadi nanti kamu belajar dari dia. Bisa jadi kamu suatu saat nanti butuh dia. Jika pun dia jahat padamu, ikhlaskan. Tidak ada orang yang dilahirkan jahat. Yang ada, hidup yang terlalu keras, membuatnya keras menghadapi hidup. Lakukan apa yang kamu suka . Tapi punya batas. Kamu tidak perlu membuat orang lain menyukaimu. Kamu hanya perlu menyukai dirimu sendri. Jadi dirimu sendiri. Nanti akan datang oran

"Livin' in a Dream"

What's the meaning of "livin' in a dream"? Does it mean you dreaming about something and it happened and you living it? Or are you living a life that isn't real? For me, I prefer taking the second answer. Living in a dream means that you live in a dream. To put it in other words, your life isn't real. You're life is sadly only a fantasy. You know, like that one song from Queen.  "is it a real life? is it just fantasy? caught in a landslide. no escape from reality"  (And the next verse is got more interesting) "open your eyes, look up to the sky and see" Living in a dream means that something you expect is happening, but it will soon gone. It's not gonna be here forever, and you're not gonna be there forever. I don't believe that "living in a dream" phrase. I mean, for someone like me, all the things that I've dreamed of never come alive. I don't know either my dream is too hig

My Life Journal

I have no idea what this is, but my friend once told me that  “Writing journal can help one person to feel better after pouring down their feelings and stories.”  So here I am, trying to make one. I’m trying to make a journal, my life journal. I kinda doubt it actually, because there’s nothing interesting that’s going on in my life. It’s just me, my room and loneliness. I don’t really do much thing in a day. I don’t do anything at all, sometimes. I just lay in my bed, watching Youtube, scrolling down my Instagram feeds, thinking about life, thinking when will I graduate. Thinking about missing some people in my life, friends, family, best friends, boyfriend. My life is kinda boring. But I never get bored of it. I enjoy my life the way it is. I enjoy how I spent the day laying on the bed until its dark outside, I love watching some creative Youtube videos that inspire me (but still don’t motivate me). I like being inspired by the pictures on Instagram that people posted. Make